This lesson is the first in two lessons about using the verb 'to get' combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:
'to get across' means to communicate, make people understand.
- I'm not sure I got that across very well. I don't think they really understood.
- He's an excellent speaker. He can get across even the most complicated ideas.
'to get away' means to go on holiday.
- We had a lovely holiday. We got away for a few days on the beach.
- I don't think we can get away until the end of the month. We're too busy.
'to get back' means to return from a trip or a journey.
- She's still in Taiwan. She doesn't get back until next week.
- I get back on Friday afternoon. I'll call you then.
'to get back' can also mean to have returned something you lent to someone.
- I lent him some money last year and I never got it back.
- We have only got back fifty percent of the questionnaires we gave out.
'to get back to' = to speak again with someone or to return a phone call
- When I have more information, I'll get back to you.
- He got back to me yesterday afternoon with his answer.
'to get by' means to just have enough money or to just manage financially
- At the end of the month, I have no money left. It is difficult to get by on my salary.
- If we are careful, we can get by on less than $20 a day.
'to get down to' means to start some work or a task
- If everybody is here, let's get down to business.
- I didn't start it until the last moment. I just couldn't get down to it.
'to get in' means to arrive home or at the office
- I'm really tired this morning. I didn't get in until after midnight last night.
- He's always the last to arrive. He never gets in before 9.30.
'to get in' can also mean to enter
- He opened the door so I could get in the car.
- You need to have some photo id to get in the company.
'to get off' means to leave a bus, train or plane
- Take the 23 bus and get off at the last stop. I live very near there.
- To go to the National Gallery, take the underground and get off at Trafalgar Square.
Return to Main Menu