Now let's continue looking at some common expressions using the verb 'to take ' combined with particles:
'to take in' means to let someone stay in your house as a guest.
- She is taking in paying guests to help pay for her house.
- She took in a lodger to help pay the mortgage.
'to take in' also means to deceive someone, to make someone believe something that is not true.
- I was completely taken in by him. I believed everything he said.
- Don't be taken in by all the publicity. It's a very expensive product.
'to take in' also means to understand, comprehend a situation.
- I just couldn't take in what he was saying. It didn't make sense.
- He was in shock and couldn't take in what people were saying to him.
'to take in' also means to take something for repair.
- I took my car in this morning for a service.
- I'll take it in and get it cleaned.
'to take off' means to remove something, especially clothes.
- I had to take my coat off when the sun came out, it was so warm.
- I wish he would take off his sunglasses so we can see his eyes.
'to take off' is also to be away from work for holidays or illness.
- He has never taken a day off in twenty years. He's our best employee.
- I'm going to take a couple of days off to visit my parents.
'to take off' is also when a plane leaves the ground.
- The plane was over half an hour late taking off but we arrived on time.
- I hate taking off. I can't see how the plane can get off the ground.
'to take on' means to begin to employ someone.
- Sophie has just been taken on with a permanent contract.
- We need to take on a couple of extra sales people as business is growing very fast.
'to take on' also means to accept a responsibility or a work.
- We've taken on too much work. We just don't have enough staff to do it.
- We can't take on any more new clients. We have too many already.
'to take out' means to remove something from a particular place.
- He took the picture out of the frame and gave it to me.
- She had to take everything out of her handbag before she found her papers.
Return to Main Menu